Skip to Content
AP - Oregon-Northwest

Here is the latest Oregon news from The Associated Press at 9:40 p.m. PST

SEATTLE (AP) — The state Supreme Court has ruled that a voter-approved $30 car tab measure will remain on hold while a legal fight over the initiative’s constitutionality plays out. The Washington State Attorney General’s Office filed an emergency motion, saying Washington voters’ wishes were being “stymied” by a King County  judge’s decision to stop Initiative 976 from taking effect.  Voters last month approved I-976, the statewide measure that calls for lowering  vehicle registration fees to $30, rolling back car-tab taxes that fund Sound Transit and doing away with local car-tab fees. 

OREGON CITY, Ore. (AP) — A 16-year-old student at Oregon City High School was arrested after police say they got a tip that the student had a handgun in his waistband. Oregon City Police say the school resource officer got the tip around 11 a.m. Wednesday. Police say the student was located in a class and detained without incident. Police say the student had several weapons including a handgun and ammunition and they are investigating why he brought weapons to school. Police say they don’t have other information leading them to believe there are any other threats to students or staff. The student was arrested on investigation of having a firearm illegally, disorderly conduct and threat of harm.

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — The Oregon Court of Appeals has reversed a murder conviction, ruling that a confession the defendant made to police was involuntary. Eloy Vasquez-Santiago, who has an IQ of 53, mistakenly believed that his infant child was being detained by authorities, along with Vasquez-Santiago’s father and brother. Police reinforced the misconception, saying a confession could help the family’s situation.  Vasquez-Santiago then confessed to a 2012 slaying. He was sentenced to life in prison. The appeals court said police went too far and remanded the case back to the trial court.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A 2-year-old Medford boy who was shot to death by a parent was determined to be safe weeks after the child had already vanished. A new state report also says a case worker knew Aiden Salcido’s father had fired a gun inside a tent where he was caring for the toddler and that the father had threatened to kill Aiden’s mother. The Oregonian/OregonLive reports that a child welfare worker still found no indication of a threat to Aiden’s well-being and closed the case. The next month, his parents died in a murder-suicide after a police chase in Montana. Aiden’s body was found three days later at an abandoned campsite in Montana. Jake Sunderland, a Department of Human Services spokesman, had no comment and says the report “speaks for itself.”

The Associated Press