Skip to Content

Redmond man arraigned in Bend road rage incident


(Update: Suspect in road rage incident arraigned)

A Redmond man was arraigned Monday on assault and other charges in a Friday night road range incident that injured two women near a southwest Bend roundabout.

Jay Allen Barbeau, 49, appeared before Deschutes County Circuit Judge Michael Adler on the district attorney’s initial charges of three counts of second-degree assault and single counts of first-degree criminal mischief and reckless driving.

The judge raised Barbeau’s bail from the initial $70,000 to $200,000 and ordered him to have no contact with the two victims. He’s due back in court June 11 for arraignment on an expected indictment.

Officers and Bend Fire medics were dispatched shortly after 8 p.m. Friday to the area of the roundabout at Brookswood Boulevard and Reed Market Road on a report of a vehicle-pedestrian crash, Sgt. Todd Guthrie said.

Officers arrived to find two women lying on the ground injured and a man apparently trying to leave the scene, Guthrie said.

Investigating officers learned the incident actually was a road rage incident that began when a 34-year-old Bend woman pulled her Kia Soul in front of a Toyota pickup driven by Jay Barbeau, 49, of Redmond on Southwest Bond Street, said the sergeant (and the woman, who posted a comment to the KTVZ page to correct and clarify some information).

Barbeau followed the car until the driver stopped, at which time he smashed out the back window.

The woman wrote, “I did not get out of the car before he attacked me. Rather, he came through the driver-side window after breaking the back window, broke my arm with his bare hands and started punching me in the face.” She said she required major surgery on her arm on Monday.

“The 26-year-old (passenger) tried to defend me, at which point he threw her to the ground, giving her a concussion and neck injury,” the woman said, adding: “It was honestly one of the most scary experiences of my life.”

Medics provided care at the scene and took the women to St. Charles Bend with non-life-threatening injuries. Barbeau also was brought to the Bend hospital for treatment of minor injuries, then to the county jail.

KTVZ News Team


Leave a Reply

Skip to content