Skip to Content

Small NE Bend kitchen fire stopped quickly


A cooking fire in the kitchen of a northeast Bend retirement apartment Thursday morning prompted some evacuations, caused about $6,000 damage and prompted fire officials to offer important safety reminders about safe cooking practices.

Bend fire crews responded around 10:30 a.m. to the reported kitchen fire at the Greenwood Manor Apartments in the 2200 block of Northeast Fourth Street, Battalion Chief Dave Howe said.

The initial crew arrived to find light smoke coming from a second-floor door. They made entry with a five-gallon pressurized water extinguisher, called a “water can,” and put out the blaze, also completing a search of the apartment, Howe said.

The cause was found to be a cooking fire on the range top. Howe said damage was limited to the stove and the wall behind it, as crews opened to wall to ensure there was no hidden fire.

“The Bend Fire Department reminds you that kitchen fires are a major percentage of all structure fires, and leaving a working stove top unattended for even a short time can have devastating consequences,” Howe wrote.

“It is a good idea to rehearse what you would do if a pan on your stove catches fire, making sure clothing and hair are completely out of the way.”

What to Do If You Have a Cooking Fire:

— Always keep a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan is completely cool.

— Never pour water on a cooking pan grease fire.

— Baking soda can work to extinguish grease fires if sprinkled on top of the fire.

— In case of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed until it is cool. After a fire, the oven should be checked and/or serviced before being used again.

— When in doubt, just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. After you leave, call 9-1-1 or the fire department from a cell phone or a neighbor’s telephone.

— If you know how to use a portable fire extinguisher and are capable of fighting the fire, be sure others are already getting out and that you have a clear path to the way out. Call 9-1-1 or the fire department from outside the home.

Remember: Never move a burning pan on a stove top!

Bend Fire is always available to come and make sure the kitchen is safe, Howe said.

For more information:

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ News Team


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content