Skip to Content

Unattended burn spreads, destroys Culver-area shop

Culver shop fire JCFD-1 5-10
Jefferson County Fire District No. 1
A Culver shop was destroyed, other buildings damaged by fire Sunday afternoon near Culver

CULVER, Ore. (KTVZ) -- A fire caused by an unattended open burn destroyed a shop and damaged a grain silo and wood storage shed southwest of Culver Sunday afternoon, officials said.

Jefferson County Fire District No. 1 was dispatched just before 3 p.m. to a reported garage fire in the 4700 block of Southwest Jericho Lane, Deputy Fire Chief Kasey Skaar said.

Crews arrived to find a 20-by-30-foot shop was fully involved and the blaze had spread to a grain silo and wood storage shed next to an unoccupied, vacant home, Skaar said. Firefighters defended the house and transitioned to extinguishing the other exposures.

Skaar said the fire, which caused no injuries, was caused by an open burn that was not being minitored.

Warm Springs Fire and Safety provided mutual aid assistance, while Jefferson County sheriff's deputies and EMS also were on scene.

Losses were estimated at $23,000 to the structures and $10,000 worth of contents.

"Remember to always watch your controlled burn and be at least 50 feet away from any structures," Skaar said in a news release. "Have a designated burn area that has 10 feet of cleared ground, and have a hose and shovel available."

Article Topic Follows: Jefferson County

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ news sources


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content