Bend-La Pine School Board names building for Robert Maxwell, gets grief from parents over masks

(Update: Adding video, comments)

'My child and I have no choice,' says one parent

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) -- Tuesday night's Bend La-Pine School Board online meeting opened with another round of upset parents in Central Oregon, as many voiced their anger over state-mandated mask policies in place at district schools.

One parent, Shelly Baker, says she's frustrated that meetings have been held online, and pointed to Monday night's Crook County School Board meeting, which allowed public comments in person.

"Masking was built on flimsy evidence from the start," Baker said, "and is now built on cult-like behavior more than anything. All I'm asking for is a choice."

Baker added that the decisions made by the state are no longer based on science.

"My child and I have no choice. I know what my child needs and what is best for him his development, his health, and his overall happiness. Why can't I make that choice?" she asked. "You cannot convince me this is about public health anymore when facts have come out about the inconsistencies and sometimes flat-out lies from public health officials or experts." 

Another parent, Laurie Hetherington, whose son goes to Bend Senior High, says the mask mandates have had long-term and damaging effects.

"I cannot begin to explain the irreversible damage that has been done to my son and many students who rely on face to face, life skills inclusions and 504 IEP (Individualized Education Plan) supports at every school in the district," Hetherington said.

"When the students finally returned in January of 2021, it was unbelievably discouraging as a parent to watch my son regress in his social and his life skills, backtracking from an almost unsupported, independent student to a floundering dependent on aid student." 

Other parents submitted written grievances for school board members to read aloud, saying that schools should avoid teaching "critical race theory" and "ideology" in their curriculum.

On another topic, the school board voted unanimously in favor of naming Bend Senior High School's new multipurpose building after Bend's late congressional Medal of Honor recipient, Bob Maxwell.

Board member Melissa Barnes Dholakia became visibly emotional during the meeting, as she praised Maxwell for his efforts.

"I'm very much in favor of this, I think for two different reasons, one in terms of.... sorry I get a little emotional sometimes," Dholakia said as she held back tears. "But I think, not just in terms of service to the country but as an educator, I think about a role model for students, and how much it meant to Bend High to name this building after Robert Maxwell." 

Board members say the new multi-purpose building literally sits in the spot where Maxwell used to teach students at Bend High, which makes it all the more fitting.

Years ago, Maxwell taught automotive tech at the school, later receiving an honorary diploma.

At the time of his death in 2019, Maxwell was the oldest living congressional Medal of Honor recipient in the nation.

Article Topic Follows: Coronavirus

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Alec Nolan

Alec Nolan is a multimedia journalist for NewsChannel 21. Learn more about Alec here.

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.