Oregon construction industry touts low COVID-19 case numbers at jobsites
PORTLAND, Ore. (KTVZ) -- Cases of COVID-19 continue to remain low on construction jobsites in Oregon, thanks to the industry’s commitment to best practices outlined by the Joint COVID-19 Construction Safety Task Force, officials said Monday.
That commitment continues in other ways, according to the industry, including support of the Temporary Rule Addressing COVID-19 Workplace Risks that Oregon OSHA recently adopted.
The task force continues to see a low number of outbreaks at construction jobsites, despite the fact that construction activity has not shut down during the pandemic.
“The Oregon State Building and Construction Trades Council is pleased to be working in partnership with industry to reduce the spread of COVID-19 by following best practices and supporting Oregon OSHA’s new temporary requirements,” said Robert Camarillo, executive secretary for the trades council.
The construction industry is accustomed to carrying out best practices to increase worker safety. It has seen a strong commitment from leaders in the industry to ensure workers are safe and healthy at work.
“At Hoffman and across the construction industry, the safety of our workers is our first priority,” said Tony Howard, safety director at Hoffman Construction Company. “The COVID-19 task force has been vital to our ability to continue to do the essential work we do and keep our workers safe through the pandemic. It shows what is possible when we bring labor, management, industry organizations, and regulatory agencies together with a common goal. We are very proud to have contributed to this effort.”
Oregon OSHA’s Temporary Rule Addressing COVID-19 Workplace Risks
Oregon OSHA’s infectious disease rulemaking web page, including resources for employers
Oregon Health Authority COVID-19 Weekly Report
Oregon COVID-19 Temporary Paid Leave Program
COVID-19 testing sites in Oregon Results may be sent to your physician
Task force members:
- Associated General Contractors-Oregon Columbia Chapter
- Central Oregon Building and Construction Trades Council
- Columbia-Pacific Building and Construction Trades Council
- Hoffman Construction Company
- JE Dunn Construction
- Lane, Coos, Curry, Douglas Building & Construction Trades Council
- O’Neill Construction Group
- Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences, OHSU, Oregon Healthy Workforce Center
- Oregon Home Builders Association
- Oregon OSHA
- Oregon State Building and Construction Trades Council
- Oregon Tradeswomen
- Pacific NW Regional Council of Carpenters
- Plumbing and Mechanical Contractors Association
- SafeBuild Alliance
- Salem Building and Construction Trades Council
- Southern Oregon Building and Construction Trades Council
- University of Oregon Labor Education and Resource Center, LERC
For general questions about the construction task force, contact Mary Ann Naylor at Oregon Tradeswomen, MaryAnn@tradeswomen.net