LET’S TALK is a project of NewsChannel 21 created to provide information about suicide prevention, help save lives and bring hope to those affected by suicide in our community.
Through Let’s Talk, we hope to start a positive conversation about suicide prevention that increases community awareness and decreases stigma.
Suicide is preventable and there are things that can be done to help prevent these tragedies in the future. As a community, we can work together to get people the help that is needed.
For Immediate Help
- For emergencies call 9-1-1 or go to your local emergency room.
- Deschutes County Health Services 24-Hour Crisis Hotline (or to make an appointment), call (541) 322-7500, ext. 9.
- Crook County 24 Hour Crisis Line 1(866) 638-7103
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or visit www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Available 24/7. For Veterans, press #1, Aduda en español llame 1-888-628-9454. For hearing and speech impaired, call 1-800-799-4TTY (4889)
To speak with a counselor or schedule an appointment
- Deschutes County Behavior Health (541) 322-7500
- St. Charles Behavioral Health Services (541) 706-2768
- OSU-Cascades free counseling clinic in Bend and La Pine (541) 322-2047 or email email@example.com
For Information and Support
- https://afsp.org/ (resource for those affected by suicide)
- www.reachout.com (mental health information and support for teens and young adults)
- www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org (information and support)
- www.thetrevorproject.org (crisis intervention and resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning young people ages 13-24)
- www.deschutes.org/suicideprevention (local prevention efforts and resources)
- www.namicentraloregon.org (National Alliance on Mental Illness of Central Oregon)
Support for survivors of Suicide loss:
- 2nd Monday of the Month, 7-8:30 p.m. Located at Partners In Care, 2075 NE Wyatt Ct., Bend. Trained facilitators are Alison Sorenson and Herb Baker. For more information contact Alison Sorenson, (541) 610-9500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Redmond area group. The trained facilitator is Herb Baker. Call for more information contact Herb Baker, (503) 708-3047 or email@example.com.
Outreach Visits for Survivors of Suicide Loss:
The American Foundation for Suicide Loss (AFSP) Survivor Outreach Program provides outreach visits for bereaved survivors of suicide loss and their families. Local trained volunteers from the Oregon Chapter of AFSP, who are survivors themselves, are on hand to listen with compassion, offer reassurance that surviving a suicide loss is possible and provide information about helpful books, support groups, healing conferences and other resources. To request a visit or for more information visit http://afsp.org/find-support/ive-lost-someone/survivor-outreach-program/. Request a visit through your local AFSP Chapter by contacting the Oregon coordinator via email or phone number as listed on the website.