Skip to Content

SE Bend dryer fire fills home with smoke, carbon monoxide; family dog lost

Dryer fire filled SE Bend home with smoke, carbon monoxide, official says
Bend Fire & Rescue
Dryer fire filled SE Bend home with smoke, carbon monoxide, official says

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) – The contents of a clothes dryer caught fire and filled a southeast Bend home with smoke and carbon monoxide late Wednesday afternoon, claiming the life of a cherished family dog, an official said.

Bend Fire & Rescue crews responded around 4:15 p.m. to the reported house fire in the 20500 block of Conifer Avenue, Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said.

The occupant had returned home from work to find the house full of smoke and called 911, Derlacki said. Crews extinguished the dryer fire and ventilated the home.

Derlacki said the contents of the dryer caught fire, but it’s unknown if the dryer failed or something in the contents caught fire. The fire was contained to the dryer and began to smolder, causing the house to fill with smoke and carbon monoxide.

The dryer was on and no one was home at the time, the fire marshal said.

The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in losses to the home and its contents, he added.

"Bend Fire reminds everyone to ensure all appliances are in good working order," Derlacki said in a news release. "If they show signs of failure or malfunction, stop using immediately and have them repaired or replaced. Dryer fires are a very common home fire throughout the country. Ensuring lint traps and dryer vents are always kept clean can help lessen the chance of an appliance fire. "

Article Topic Follows: Central Oregon

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Barney Lerten

Barney is the digital content director for NewsChannel 21. Learn more about Barney here.


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content