(Update: Lab tests find no contamination; boil-water notice lifted)
MADRAS, Ore. (KTVZ) – A valve mistakenly left open at a water line replacement project in Madras on Friday led to a precautionary boil-water notice for city water customers, but lab test results came back negative Saturday for any contamination, so the the advisory was lifted.
The project is taking place along G Street and Culver Highway, where officials said in a Facebook post that “a water valve was mistakenly left open, allowing potentially contaminated water to enter the city’s water delivery system.”
Water samples were taken to a lab for bacterial testing, the city said, but since results wouldn’t be available until Saturday, that prompted the city’s precautionary boil water notice.
“All city of Madras residents should boil water for drinking and food preparation,” the initial notice said. “Bathing is safe.”
The city said in a "great news!" update at 11 a.m. Saturday that the lab results confirmed no contamination, so the boil-water requirement was lifted.
They said updates would be posted on Facebook and through the Everbridge system. This involved only city water customers; those served by Deschutes Valley Water were not affected, the city added.
If you do not have an account with Everbridge, the city said, now is the time to set one up at https://member.everbridge.net/892807736724035/login.
For more information, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/.../drink.../boil-water-advisory.html....