Skip to Content

Jannik Sinner pulls out of US Open with knee injury

<i>Kirill Kudryavtsev/AFP/Getty Images via CNN Newsource</i><br/>Jannik Sinner has announced he will not play in the US Open this year due to injury.
Kirill Kudryavtsev/AFP/Getty Images via CNN Newsource
Jannik Sinner has announced he will not play in the US Open this year due to injury.

By Jacob Lev, CNN

(CNN) — Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the US Open with a knee injury, the world No. 1 announced on Friday.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said in a post on X.

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.”

The news comes a day after world No. 2 Carlos Alcaraz announced his return to the tennis court after missing the last four months with a wrist injury.

The 25-year-old Italian star has not played since Wimbledon last month, where he won his fifth career grand slam singles title. He later missed the Masters 1000 events in Montreal and Cincinnati.

It is unknown when Sinner suffered the injury, but this marks the first time he will miss a grand slam since making his debut in 2019.

Sinner won the US Open in 2024 and was the runner-up last year, losing to Alcaraz.

Alcaraz makes his return

Even though tennis fans will miss the sight of Sinner at Arthur Ashe Stadium, another superstar will make his return.

The 23-year-old Alcaraz, who missed Roland Garros and Wimbledon with a wrist injury, will be back to defend his title.

“Here we go,” Alcaraz said Thursday, along with a photo of him in front of the US Open logo.

The US Open is a special tournament for the Spaniard.

In 2022, Alcaraz won his first grand slam title in New York at 19 years old, making him the youngest ever to hold the top spot in the ATP rankings.

The US Open main draw runs from August 30 through September 13 in Flushing Meadows, New York, with the men’s and women’s singles draws being revealed on August 27.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2026 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.

Article Topic Follows: CNN - Sports

Jump to comments ↓

CNN Newsource

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KTVZ is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.