Skip to Content

Forests to allow free personal use permits for mushrooms, transplants

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) -- Beginning Monday and through the month of May, the Deschutes and Ochoco national forests and Crooked River National Grassland will allow people to collect some special forest products for personal use without having to obtain a free use permit from Forest Service offices.

This action is being taken by the two forests and grassland to support the social and physical distancing behaviors needed to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and provide for the safety of our community members and employees.

From April 13 to June 1, native plants and mushrooms can be collected without a free use permit. This temporary change will maximize social distancing measures. Depending upon the evolution of the COVID-19 situation in Central Oregon, after June 1, the Forest Service may return to issuing personal use permits at our offices. 

It is important for the public to note that native plants and mushrooms collected without a permit under the personal free-use program, are for personal use only and may not be resold or bartered.  To be able to sell or barter these products requires a commercial permit.

The collection of native plants and mushrooms during this period will be based on the honor system and the Forest Service asks people to adhere to best management/harvesting practices (BMHPs) to support the long-term health of the forest. 

Individuals collecting native plants or mushrooms for personal use are required to download and possess, either digitally or in paper form, a copy of these BMHPs -- go to this link. These best management/harvesting practices can be found at either the Deschutes National Forest or Ochoco National Forest and Crooked River National Grassland websites:  or

The public should be aware that not all special forest products will be available for personal collection without a permit. This temporary change only applies to mushrooms and transplants. Cones, boughs, bark, dead wood, pine needles and decorative wood will still require a permit. If people are interested in getting a personal use permit for those special forest products or for any commercial use, they should contact the following Special Forest Product coordinators:

For general questions or to inquire about a commercial Special Forest Products permit on the Deschutes National Forest:

Bend-Ft. Rock Ranger District:

·       Ryan Grim, Special Forest Products Coordinator at or 541-408-1218

Crescent Ranger District:

·       Danny Weinrich, Special Forest Products Coordinator at or 541-536-4298

Sisters Ranger District:

·       Jeremy Fields, Special Forest Products Coordinator at or 503-964-0811

For general questions or to inquire about a commercial Special Forest Products permit on the Ochoco National Forest or Crooked River National Grassland:

Lookout Mountain and Paulina Ranger Districts and Crooked River National Grassland

·       Renee Roufs, Special Forest Products Coordinator at

Article Topic Follows: Community Billboard

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ news sources


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content