BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) -- The Deschutes and Ochoco National Forests and the Crooked River National Grassland will extend free personal use firewood cutting through Nov. 30. The same procedures announced at the beginning of May remain in effect. Firewood cutters can forego the normal requirement to obtain a permit from a Forest Service office or vendor.
This interim change to the firewood permitting process is an effort to maximize social distancing measures. After Nov. 30, 2020, the Forest Service plans to return to the regular process of issuing firewood permits and load tags at our offices and vendor locations.
Firewood cutters are allowed a total of eight cords of firewood this year for personal use only. Inquire by phone or email with your local district office regarding commercial firewood permits.
Firewood cutters taking advantage of this opportunity will be required to follow the same rules and regulations that are in effect during the regular firewood cutting season. These rules and regulations are found in the “2020 Central Oregon Personal Use Firewood Synopsis” and on individual firewood cutting area maps.
Free personal use firewood cutters will be required to have the following in their possession while cutting, loading and transporting firewood:
1. A completed and signed hard-copy version of the “Free Personal Use Firewood Authorization;” dated/valid May 1, 2020 through November 30, 2020
2. A digital or hard-copy version of the “2020 Central Oregon Personal Use Firewood Synopsis;” and
3. A digital or hard-copy version of the appropriate firewood cutting area map (i.e., the map covering the area where the firewood is being cut).
The Authorization, Synopsis and maps can be acquired in several ways:
1. At Forest Service websites:
Deschutes National Forest
63095 Deschutes Market Road
Bend, OR 97701
Ochoco National Forest and Crooked River National Grassland
3160 NE 3rd Street
Prineville, OR 97754
a. Deschutes National Forest: https://go.usa.gov/xd4xV
b. Ochoco National Forest: https://go.usa.gov/xvNsE
d. At Forest Service offices (located outside near the front doors)
e. At Avenza.com: Firewood cutting area maps can be downloaded onto your electronic devices with the PDF Maps app available from Avenza.com
All firewood cutting is subject to periods of “shut down” due to high fire danger (IFPL levels 3 & 4) or the implementation of Public Use Restrictions (PURs). Please check and know the Industrial Fire Precaution Level (IFPL) (1-800-523-4737) prior to cutting your firewood. See the 2020 Central Oregon Personal Use Firewood Synopsis, page 3, for information about IFPL.
PLEASE NOTE: The Prineville BLM is normally a partner with the Forest Service in the Central Oregon firewood program; however, the BLM is not able to participate in this free personal use firewood initiative. For more information about cutting firewood on BLM lands (page 13 in the 2020 Central Oregon Personal Use Firewood Synopsis), please contact the Prineville BLM office at 541-416-6700 or BLM_OR_PR_Mail@blm.gov or visit their office at 3050 N.E. 3rd Street, Prineville, OR 97754.
Please contact your local district office for updates and more information:
- Deschutes National Forest
- Bend/Ft. Rock Ranger District (541) 383-5300
- Redmond Air Center (541) 504-7200
- Sisters Ranger District (541) 549-7700
- Crescent Ranger District (541) 433-3200
- Ochoco National Forest (541) 416-6500
- Crooked River National Grassland (541) 416-6640