Skip to Content

Bend four-plex fire victims get, seek help


After a northwest Bend four-plex fire destroyed a couple’s home, a friend of the victims has taken the couple in, but says they still need some more help.

Bonnie Winstead and Justin King were awakened by by the sound of crackling flames around 1:30 Thursday morning.

Their neighbor’s barbecue had malfunctioned, investigators later said, igniting a fire that destroyed everything the couple owned.

Three families were affected by the fire, but the pair’s home was the one that had absolutely nothing salvageable.

One of their three cats also died as a result of the fire.

The couple didn’t have any renters insurance.

“That building will be repaired by insurance, but Bonnie and Justin don’t have any of their stuff,” Debra Williams said. “So I would recommend that everybody who doesn’t have coverage for their personal belongings to look at getting it.”

“I’m very sad that we didn’t have renters insurance,” Winstead said. “We lost everything. The only reason I have clothes on, other than a robe, is because of friends have helped and donated clothes to us.”

The couple would appreciate any donations of furniture or household items.

If you would like to help, you can email

Now not only has Williams taken the couple into her home, but she has also set up a donation fund at Mid Oregon Credit Union under the Winstead Family Fire Fund, account no. 68448.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ News Team


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content