Skip to Content

BLM accepting applications for Lower Deschutes recreation permits


As a supporter of commercial recreation on our public lands that creates jobs and helps local communities grow, the Bureau of Land Management, Prineville District, is accepting applications for new Special Recreation Permits from individuals and companies interested in guiding activities that will require a watercraft on the Lower Deschutes River. The application period opens November 2, 2017 and will close January 2, 2018. The Lower Deschutes Wild and Scenic River Management Plan allows for the number of permitted guides and outfitters to increase by 5 percent annually. With around 80 active guiding SRPs on the Lower Deschutes currently, applicants will be applying for four new available permits. The application is for non-motorized activities on the lower 100 miles of the Deschutes River only. The Lower Deschutes River is a remarkable resource that attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors annually. The BLM, Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation and State of Oregon work collaboratively to manage the river for its wild, scenic and recreational values. Application materials are not available this year on the BLM website; however, they can be emailed interested applicants by calling the Prineville District Office at (541) 416-6700. The prospectus and application will also be added to the State of Oregon website at: Applicants are encouraged to read the prospectus carefully to ensure they provide all required elements as incomplete applications will not be considered. For more information or for questions about this SRP application process, please contact the BLM Prineville District office at (541) 416-6700.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ News Team


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content