Skip to Content

Bend fire prompts warning: Don’t leave candles unattended


The Bend Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire Wednesday night that was extinguished before crews arrived, with fairly minor damage. However, the agency wanted to highlight the cause as a community safety issue — a candle left burning unattended for a brief time.

Battalion Chief Dave Howe said the candle most likely fell over and ignited paper on a table. The safety messages:

Never leave a candle burning unattended. Open flame sources should always be monitored. Always keep candles or other open flame well clear of any combustibles, keeping in mind that a breeze can move combustibles like curtains into the flame. If you have even a small fire, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1. Fire crews can ensure that a fire is completely out and can assist in calling for resources to help in the recovery phase. Modern furnishings are usually made of plastic, which is highly toxic when burned. Even a small fire can make a home uninhabitable until cleaned up.

“The Bend Fire Department is grateful to our community for helping make this a safe place to live, and we wish all our citizens a safe, happy and healthy holiday season,” Howe said.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ News Team


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content