Skip to Content
Central Oregon

Judge tosses 1 of 2 lawsuits filed by former DCSO sergeant

Deschutes County sheriff's patrol car
Deschutes County Sheriff's Office

Second scheduled for trial next month

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) -- A visiting judge on Thursday dismissed one of two lawsuits filed against the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office by a former sergeant.

Sean Riddell, the Portland attorney representing Ronny Dozier, said Judge Locke Williams, who appeared by video, found that the sheriff's office did not apply a veteran’s preference as required back in 2016, when the then-sergeant sought promotion to lieutenant.

However, Riddell said, Williams ruled that Dozier had failed to prove he would have been promoted to lieutenant, had his veteran status been taken into account.

Dozier still has a second lawsuit pending against the sheriff’s office. Riddell said that subsequent claim is that Dozier, who had been demoted to patrol deputy, was not promoted back to sergeant, violating his First Amendment rights and whistleblower protection laws, as well as again not taking into account his veteran status.

A hearing in that case is scheduled for Jan. 17.

Riddell also represented Deputy David Crump, who this fall received a $22,500 settlement from the county over a lawsuit claiming the county did not follow a law mandating preference for disabled military veterans in promotion decisions.

Sheriff Shane Nelson noted the settlement was with the county, not his agency, as county human resources officials handle the initial application process in hiring.

Crime And Courts / Deschutes County / News

Barney Lerten

Barney is the digital content director for NewsChannel 21. Learn more about Barney here.

Comments

5 Comments

  1. More issues with a hostile workplace under sheriff shane, just like with the political designs he puts on our squad cars, even though they’ve already gotten other oregon counties in trouble… deschutes has and can do better

  2. If you think that’s bad crook county had this brand new jail built and the county was no longer suppose to be buying meals from elsewhere with this nice new kitchen they received at tax payer expense. In sheriff Gautneys letter last week apparently we are still getting meals elsewhere and not using the new kitchen?? Why are we sending money elsewhere still??

Leave a Reply