Skip to Content

Propane truck overturns in Terrebonne; leak prompts evacuation of 15 homes

Propane tank slid off embankment and overturned in Terrebonne, prompting leak, evacuations
Redmond Fire & Rescue
Propane tank slid off embankment and overturned in Terrebonne, prompting leak, evacuations

(Update: Details of leak stopped, residents return home)

It fell on side with valves, so it took four hours to stop leak; power cut off, propane levels monitored

TERREBONNE, Ore. (KTVZ) – A propane delivery truck slid off an embankment and rolled onto its side next to a home in a Terrebonne cul-de-sac late Monday morning. A resulting propane leak prompted evacuation of 15 homes and a power shutoff until it was stopped four hours later, an official said.

Redmond Fire & Rescue was called to the 100 block of Central Avenue about 11:30 a.m., Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Puller said.

The driver was uninjured, but the Ed Staub & Sons propane truck had rolled onto the side where the truck’s valves are located, making for a lengthier process to stop the leak, Puller said.

Pacific Power crews were called out to turn off the power and reduce the risk of an explosion, he said. Deschutes County Public Works also assisted at the scene.

Propane is heavier than air, so unlike natural gas, it doesn’t rise into the atmosphere, but instead can go into low-lying areas such as crawlspaces and build up, Puller said.

Puller said they reached out to the regional hazardous material team in Salem for guidance as they monitored and assessed the leak.

Puller said Ed Staub employees stopped the leak at 3:45 p.m. and the truck was back on its wheels and set up for propane transfer about an hour later. Power was restored to the homes and the evacuation orders lifted around 5 p.m., he said. Homeowners signed up for Deschutes County emergency alerts were contacted to be advised the evacuation was lifted.

After the leak was stopped, fire crews needed to go in and check homes with gas monitors to be cleared and ensure no propane has accumulated before power is restored. Otherwise, he said, if a water heater’s pilot light were to ignite, for example, an explosion could result.

On a very cold day, evacuated residents stayed with friends or family. Puller said officials were concerned for a time the American Red Cross might need to put up the evacuees up at a motel overnight, but the situation was resolved instead.

Author Profile Photo

Barney Lerten

Barney is the digital content director for NewsChannel 21. Learn more about Barney here.

Comments

6 Comments

  1. I wonder how all these people managed to “get to” their friends and family locations without “starting their cars”- which can create an ignition source hot enough to “set off” low lying pockets of propane gas ! Did anyone have an LEL meter in the area- or was all this just blind-dumb luck ?

  2. who’s going to pay for all this? Surely you Maga Deps don’t want your tax dollars being spent on this sorta crap, plus all the downtime for those affected. Surely you’ll be shaking your fists at Ed Staub (and his sons) for repayment, for this isn’t a socialist state!

    1. Fire services are paid for by taxes. I suppose homeowners could sue Ed Staub for the inconvenience the company caused, which would be paid for by its insurance company.

  3. Pedal Lucky you are paying just like the rest through taxes. What exactly sort of crap are you talking about? I don’t think that all who was affected minded the fire dept and propane company monitored the area till it was safe rather than the potential of lighting the place up and blowing up houses.
    I hope that you and barneygetswhatever don’t waste my and everyone else’s tax money when you have an emergency cause it seems like your smarter than the rest and can figure it out on your own

    1. Your comment is barely coherent. Did you not recognize I was being facetious? Think about how much time you’ll never get back when all your semi-literate comments are added up. Sad times.

Leave a Reply

Skip to content