Skip to Content

Unattended candle sparks fire that destroys NW Prineville home

KTVZ

Family away, but cat perishes in blaze

PRINEVILLE, Ore. (KTVZ) – An unattended candle sparked a fire that destroyed a northwest Prineville home while the family was away Monday morning, but a cat perished in the blaze, a Crook County Fire & Rescue official said.

Crews were called to the fire on Northwest Seehale Avenue around 9:25 a.m., Division Chief Russell Deboodt said. They arrived to find a fire in the front of the small, one-story home and smoke coming from several openings.

Crews stretched a house line to the front door, went in and got the fire out quickly, Deboodt said, but the structure and contents were a complete loss, due to heat and smoke damage.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the residents, two adults and three children.

Other mutual-aid assistance was provided by Prineville Police and Pacific Power.

KTVZ news sources

Comments

2 Comments

  1. i have now read at least 5 stories of preventable house fires taking the lives of pets. People that are unable to take the measures needed to be safe, and prevent house fires shouldn’t own animals. This is ridiculous

  2. What I dont understand is this. Many many many homes over the years have caught on fire. And the news stated it was from a burning candle. So people DO know the dangers of leaving one unattended. Yes I do burn scented candles. Yes I do chores around the house and out on the farm while the candle is burning. BUT I take precautions. My candle is on a large metal sheet pan which sits on a large metal stainless steel cart they use in food service. It is not near anything combustible, my dogs cant get anywhere near it and I dont have house cats that could knock it over.

Leave a Reply

Skip to content