Skip to Content

ODOT reminder: Keep campaign signs off rights-of-way


Temporary signs can restrict sight distance at intersections, interfere with maintenance work and present a safety hazard. With statewide political campaigns just around the corner, the Oregon Department of Transportation is reminding residents about the rules .

For example, signs are prohibited on trees, utility poles, fence posts and natural features within highway right of way. They also are prohibited within view of a designated scenic area. More information is available on ODOT’s website .

“Campaign signs, as well as yard sale signs and other unauthorized notices, are not allowed to be placed on state highway right of way,” said Luci Moore, ODOT State Maintenance and Operations engineer. “Our crews will remove the signs and store them for 30 days.”

State right of way width varies, stretching from curb-to-curb within some cities, to 200 or more feet beyond the pavement in other locations. Please call these offices if you are uncertain whether you’re placing a sign on private property or highway right of way:

For urban areas of Washington, Multnomah and Clackamas counties: (971) 673-6200
For rural areas of Multnomah and Clackamas counties and all of Hood River County: (503) 665-4193
Clatsop, Columbia, Tillamook and western Washington counties: District 1 Asst. Manager Bill Jablonski, (503) 325-7222
Marion, Yamhill and northern Polk counties: District 3 Asst. Manager Tim Swift, (503) 986-2900
Lincoln, Linn and Benton counties: District 4 Asst. Manager Kendal Weeks, (541) 757-4211
Lane County: District 5 Asst. Manager Ramona Cline, (541) 726-2541
Douglas, Coos and Curry counties: District 7 Asst. Manager Chris Hunter, (541) 957-3689
Jackson and Josephine counties: District 8 Asst. Manager Jeremiah Griffin, (541) 774-6352
Sherman, Gilliam and Wasco counties: Permit Specialist Scott Peters, (541) 296-2800
Deschutes, Crook, Jefferson and Wheeler counties: Permit Specialist Robert Morrow, (541) 388-6426
Klamath and Lake counties: Permit Specialist Dave Steiner, (541) 883-5786
Morrow and Umatilla counties: Permit Specialist Tom Lapp, (541) 276-1241
Baker, Union and Wallowa counties: Permit Specialist Lisa Hayes, (541) 963-8407
Grant, Malheur and Harney counties: Permit Specialist John Eden, (541) 823-4016

“Our employees are trying to reduce distractions, and when they remove illegally placed signs, they are simply doing their jobs,” Moore said. “We appreciate everyone’s understanding and cooperation.”

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ News Team


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content