Skip to Content

Sisters couple narrowly escapes as fire destroys home


A Sisters couple and their three dogs narrowly escaped from their burning home Sunday afternoon when a pan being used to cook French fries ignited on the stove, fire officials said.

Jeff and Gina Kendall told Sisters-Camp Sherman Rural Fire District crews the pan caught on fire – and then the kitchen cabinets did, too, Fire Chief Roger Johnson said. They were able to evacuate their double-wide manufactured home at 703 South Ash Street and run across the street to call 911.

Crews were called to the home around 12:30 p.m. and the first arriving units found the 1975 manufactured home fully ablaze, with flames extending to large pine trees and adjacent outbuildings.

“The fire completely engulfed the home in minutes, resulting in a total loss,” Johnson said.

Firefighters quickly deployed hose lines to keep the fire from reaching nearby structures. A total of 29 firefighters were called out, employing five engines, three support units and two chief officers.

The Kendalls were renters of the home, according to the fire chief, adding that they believe it had a working smoke alarm.

Johnson credited the quick response from the Cloverdale and Black Butte Ranch fire districts with helping limit the damage from the accidental cooking fire.

“We had a very good response of career and volunteer firefighters, along with our automatic aid partners,” he said in a news release.

The Sisters Public Works Department, Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office, Black Butte Ranch Police, American Red Cross and the Office of the State Fire Marshal also responded.

The Red Cross Disaster Action Team assisted two adults with lodging, food, clothing, comfort kits, medication and information about disaster health and mental health services.

Johnson reminded residents when cooking with hot grease on a stove to constantly monitor it, and to have a tight-fitting lid nearby to cover the pan if it catches on fire.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ News Team


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content