Skip to Content

Bend FD urges: Keep debris burning safe, legal


This time of year many farmers, ranchers and land owners use fire to ready their land for the spring and summer growing season. This practice is a great way of eradicating noxious weeds, removing dead plant material and prepping the land for new crops. But this practice can also be dangerous if not done properly, officials warn

The Bend Fire Department, which already has received several calls about illegal open burns, asks anyone doing any burning to follow these simple measures to prevent escaped burns and ensure their fires cause the least impact on their neighbors.

Open debris burning is banned within the city limits of Bend. Currently, areas outside of the city limits and within Deschutes County Rural Fire Protection District #2, can burn until the burning season is closed. Check with your local fire department or agency on any local restrictions or permit requirements.

Escaped fires (campfires and debris burning) is one of Oregon’s leading cause of human caused-wildfires, and every spring firefighters respond to a series of escaped debris burns across Central Oregon. In 2016. Bend Fire Department responded to 24 escaped fires. Failure to comply with the burning regulations can result in a citation and fine.

All agricultural and commercial burning need a burn permit in areas covered by Bend Fire Department and Deschutes County Rural Fire Protection District #2. This includes field burning, large piles (larger than 6 feet in diameter and 4 feet in height) and ditch burning. Permits are needed for both large commercial fires and home hobby farms.

Call the Bend Fire Department at 541-322-6309 to find out if a permit is needed or to answer any questions you have. Or visit our website for more information about safe burning practices or to download a copy of the current burning regulations.

Steps to lower your risk of an escaped fire:

A current copy of the Bend Fire Department burn regulations must be on site – you can pick one up at any fire station or download one online at · Commercial and agricultural burning requires a fire department permit. To have a permit issued call 541-322-6309 during normal business hours for an appointment to conduct a site inspection.

· Debris burning that falls within the size restrictions in the Burning Regulations do not need a permit but must follow all the requirements in the regulations

Prior to lighting your fire, contact the Bend Fire Department burn information line at
541-322-6335 to ensure burning is open that day
(check with your local fire department if you are not covered by Bend Fire Department or Deschutes County Rural Fire Protection District #2) Ensure you have plenty of clearance around the fire area: 50 feet clearance to structures including homes, sheds, barns and fences for most agricultural and commercial fires Ensure there are no combustibles for 10 feet surrounding your fire area Only burn during daylight hours, fully extinguish your fire at night All fires need to be attended at all times Do not burn on windy days, if the wind picks up during the day, stop burning and fully extinguish your fire to ensure it does not spread out of your control Have appropriate fire extinguishing tools on hand such as a shovel and a hose When done burning ensure the fire area is cold to the touch, to ensure the fire is completely out Do not burn prohibited materials: plastics, garbage, stumps, wire insulation, vehicles, mobile homes, rubber, petroleum products, or any animal, food service, industrial, commercial and construction waste.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ News Team


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content