Skip to Content

Ethiopia rejects allegations its forces massacred civilians as the West urges an investigation

The Associated Press

Ethiopia is dismissing allegations its soldiers massacred dozens of civilians last month in the restive Amhara region. Thursday’s statement comes as Western countries are demanding an investigation into the killings. Ethiopia’s state-appointed human rights commission says at least 45 civilians were killed by government forces in the Amhara town of Merawi, following clashes with a local militia. Another national rights body put the death toll at over 80. A government spokesperson told the local language service of German broadcaster Deutsche Welle that here was fighting in Merawi but insisted the military “did not target any civilians.” The spokesperson says troops entered civilian homes to conduct searches and acted in “self-defense” when “they were fired upon again.”

Article Topic Follows: AP National News

Jump to comments ↓

Associated Press

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content