Skip to Content

Prineville-area man fatally electrocuted while burning designs into wood

KTVZ

PRINEVILLE, Ore. (KTVZ) – A 26-year-old man was fatally electrocuted Tuesday afternoon while burning decorative designs into wood outside his camp trailer at an RV park east of Prineville, Crook County sheriff’s deputies said.

Deputies and Crook County Fire & Rescue medics were dispatched shortly after 3 p.m. to the report of a traumatic injury at the Lakeshore RV Park on the Ochoco Highway about six miles east of Prineville, Sgt. Mitch Madden said.

Deputies found a man, later identified as Kyle Johnson, lying on the ground by a camp trailer, Madden said. They disconnected the power supply to the trailer, but it was not immediately clear if any external or homemade power supplies were connected to it.

Fire medics arrived shortly afterward and used non-conductive tools to disconnect a power cord and supply, Madden said. Johnson died at the scene.

Investigating deputies said it appeared Johnson had built a homemade power supply box to burn decorative designs into wood. A wood-burning tool was connected by extension cord to a power outlet in the trailer.

Madden said Johnson was in the process of burning some wood when he was electrocuted, for unknown reasons. It appears no ground fault circuit interrupter plug or breaker had been tripped.

Also assisting at the scene were the Prineville Funeral Home and Prineville police, for family notification.

Author Profile Photo

Barney Lerten

Barney is the digital content director for NewsChannel 21. Learn more about Barney here.

Comments

7 Comments

  1. It’s called “fractal” or “Lichtenberg” burning. Wood workers use these to make designs that look like lightning in wood. They are typically made by modifying a microwave transformer creating anywhere from 2000 to 15,000 Volts. Its not so much the voltage but the amperage that gets you. There have been 25 known deaths since 2018 contributed to the Lichtenberg.

Leave a Reply

Skip to content