(Update: Fire department information; cooking oil was fire cause)
METOLIUS, Ore. (KTVZ) -- Cooking oil on a stove sparked a fire that damaged a home in Metolius late Monday afternoon, and while the woman living there got out without injury, two rescued dogs needed a bit of oxygen after firefighters rescued them from the smoke-filled house, authorities said.
Jefferson County Fire District No. 1 was dispatched around 4:30 p.m. to the fire in the 400 block of Sixth Street, Deputy Chief Kasey Skaar said.
Crews arrived to find smoke coming from the home, entered the rear of the structure and quickly knocked down the flames, Skaar said.
Jefferson County Sheriff Jim Adkins said the resident called her son in Madras after the fire broke out, and he called 911 dispatchers, who firefighters.
Firefighters brought out the two dogs and handed them to a sheriff’s deputy, who got them to a Jefferson County EMS ambulance crew for oxygen, Adkins said.
The fire was contained to the kitchen, with smoke damage into the living area. Skaar said about 25 percent of the home was damaged. The American Red Cross notified to assist the occupants.
Crews remained on scene, checking for extension into the
attic, along with salvage and overhaul, the fire official said.
“A good reminder: Always stay in the kitchen
when cooking with oil,” Skaar said. “If you see wisps of smoke or the oil
smells, immediately turn off the burner and carefully remove the pan from the