Skip to Content
Fire

Early-morning fire heavily damages SW Madras triplex; 2 cats perish

Jefferson County Fire District No.1 truck

MADRAS, Ore. (KTVZ) -- A southwest Madras duplex was heavily damaged by a fire early Sunday morning, and while the residents escaped, two cats perished, an official said.

Jefferson County Fire District No. 1 crews were dispatched around 1:20 a.m. to the fire in the 200 block of Southwest C Street, Deputy Chief Kasey Skaar said.

Crews arrived to find flames coming out of the windows on one unit, with fire extending to the other two units, Skaar said. There also were exposures to two other nearby multi-family dwellings, he added.

Madras police and the fire incident commander made sure everyone made it out safely. Skaar said firefighters quickly knocked down the blaze and completed a search of the building, followed by salvage and overhaul.

The fire, which caused an estimated $250,000 damage, apparently was caused by combustible items too close to a heater, Skaar said.

An American Red Cross disaster response team was called om to assist the residents. The fire district also was assisted by Jefferson County EMS, Pacific Power and Warm Springs Fire and Safety.

Central Oregon / Madras / News / Top Stories

Barney Lerten

Barney is the digital content director for NewsChannel 21. Learn more about Barney here.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Skip to content