Skip to Content

Frying pan left on stove burner sparks Deschutes River Woods kitchen fire; resident, dogs escape unhurt

Frying pan left on working stove burner sparked kitchen fire at DRW home Sunday evening
Bend Fire & Rescue
Frying pan left on working stove burner sparked kitchen fire at DRW home Sunday evening

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) – A frying pan left on a stove sparked a kitchen fire at a home in Deschutes River Woods on Sunday evening, but the resident and his dogs evacuated safely and Bend Fire crews quickly knocked down the blaze.

Bend Fire & Rescue responded to a home on Creek Circle shortly before 5:30 p.m. when the occupant called Deschutes County 911 to report that his house was on fire, Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said.

Firefighters arrived to find the fire spreading to the roof and attic, but stopped its spread with water from the outside. Derlacki said they then worked through the kitchen ceiling to make sure the fire was out before leaving the scene.

The owner said he was cooking dinner and accidentally left the stove on, with the frying pan on the burner. The remaining oil caught fire and the flames spread up through the vent to the attic and roof.

Fire damage is estimated at $15,000. The American Red Cross Disaster Response was contacted to assist the resident.

Derlacki shared some tips to avoid cooking fires, which are the leading cause of home fires in the country:

Bend Fire Department reminds everyone to keep a watchful eye on anything you’re cooking. By following a few safety tips, you can prevent these fires.

Cook with Caution

  • Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stove top.
  • Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking. If you leave the kitchen for even a short time, turn off the stove and oven.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or broiling food, check it regularly; remain in the home while food is cooking and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking. Unattended cooking is leading cause of cooking fires in America.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire – oven mits, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels and curtains – away from the cook top.

If You Have a Cooking Fire…

  • Get out and Stay out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Turn off the stove and oven when you leave if you can do it safely. 
  • Ensure everyone else in the home is evacuating as well. 
  • Call 911 immediately.
  • If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and calling 911 for you. Ensure you have a clear way out too.
  • Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stove top. Leave the pan covered until it’s completely cooled!
  • For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. 
Article Topic Follows: Fire

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Barney Lerten

Barney is the digital content director for NewsChannel 21. Learn more about Barney here.


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content