Skip to Content

Electrical fire destroys small outbuilding used as residence north of Bend that got power from extension cord

Deschutes Market Road outbuilding fire Bend FD 6-10
Bend Fire & Rescue
Firefighters quickly stopped fire north of Bend Monday morning, but not before it consumed small outbuilding used as residence

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) - An electrical failure was the apparent cause of a fire north of Bend Monday morning that destroyed a small outbuilding being used as a residence and that drew power with an extension cord, an official said.

Bend Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched at 9:12 a.m. to the reported fire along Deschutes Market Road, just north of the city limits, Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said. Callers said the fire was spreading to outbuildings and brush.

The outbuilding was being used as a residence for an adult. Derlacki said occupants of the main home were using garden hoses to try to keep the flames from spreading when crews arrived, and the fire was quickly stopped by the first fire crews on scene, but it consumed the outbuilding and a car next to it.

The fire also spread to adjacent outbuildings but only caused exterior damage to them, Derlacki said. Total losses were estimated at $25,000.

The resident of the outbuilding was away at work when the fire broke out but returned when he heard about the fire, Derlacki said. An American Red Cross disaster support team was called to assist the resident, who also lost all of his belongings.

Derlacki said the fire appears to have been caused by an electrical failure in the 12-by-12-foot outbuilding, which had power run from the home with an extension cord. Due to the fire damage, the exact failure point was not determined.

"Bend Fire Department reminds everyone to have working smoke alarms in their homes, whether it’s a tiny home, main house or RV," Derlacki wrote. "Smoke alarms more than double your chances of surviving a fire with their quick notification, especially with the increased speed at which items burn in a home now. For assistance with your smoke alarms call our main number to set up a visit, 541-322-6300. .

He said national statistics show that a house fire 40 years ago took up to 20 minutes to consume a room during the early stages of a fire, and that same room today with modern furniture and decorations takes less than five minutes to burn.

Article Topic Follows: Fire

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Barney Lerten

Barney is the digital content director for NewsChannel 21. Learn more about Barney here.


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content