Skip to Content

Bend Post Office roofers cut gas line, prompt evacuation


Workers from a roofing company accidentally sawed through a natural gas line inside Bend’s main Post Office Wednesday afternoon, prompting evacuation for about a half-hour while the gas was shut off and building ventilated, officials said.

Bend Fire Battalion Chief Dave Howe said the gas leak was reported around 2:45 p.m. at the postal facility at 2300 Northeast Fourth Street, bringing crews on scene.

U.S. Postal Service employees turned off the gas and evacuated the building before firefighters arrived, Howe said.

Fire crews ventilated the structure and helped Cascade Natural Gas in its investigation. Employees and customers were allowed back into the building around 3:30 p.m.

Howe said the fire department “reminds the community that it is important to remain calm when there is a natural gas release, especially in a building.”

“Know where the gas valve is, turn off all potential sources of ignition, ensure that everyone is out of the building and call 911,” Howe said.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

KTVZ News Team


KTVZ NewsChannel 21 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content